Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Brushed or Brushless...What's the difference?

What’s the difference between Brushed and Brushless motors in RC toys?

The main difference, as the name suggests, is that brushed motors have small wire brushes that are used to detect and help control the rotation of the engine. For a great discussion you can check this site which provides additional links to Wikipedia diagrams.

This is all pretty scientific and even though I have a pretty strong science background, the physics is still a little confusing.   The basic point if you’re new to RC toys is this…If you’re not a pro, stick with a brushed motor. Why? They are cheaper and easier to maintain! 
                                                       
For example, check out our Enzo Ferrari for less than 50 bucks! This car is fast and perfect for the beginner RC enthusiast.

Which one is better?

Well, it depends on your needs of course, because each one has strengths and weaknesses, but our simple rule is that if you’re just starting out with RC toys, stick with a brushed motor. But if money is not really a concern for you and you are looking for more speed, then try a brushless motor. They are superior in performance and maintenance. (No brush replacement, longer run-time, and no brushes to get clogged with dirt).

Since many of our customers are parents buying for their younger children, we think that brushless motors are not really worth it. Kids are going to have a blast with any RC toy, so high performance isn’t really an issue. Plus, it’s like giving a 16 year old a brand new Corvette. It would be best for beginners to learn the basics of RC control before giving them something they might crash through your living room wall.

For maximum speed and awesomeness, check out the brushless RedCat Aftershock 8E


When would I want brushed?
• I’m on a budget
• I don’t need the fastest toy
• I’m a beginner
• I don’t mind spending a little time to maintain my motor
• I would just buy a new toy if the motor fails
• I race but would like flexibility to swap out motors

When would I want brushless?
• I have a little more money to spend
• I want high performance
• I don’t want to spend time cleaning and repairing my motor
• I’m a hobbyist and want to race toys

No comments:

Post a Comment